Department of BEM
In 1968, a study was carried out to identify the statistical distribution of professionals in the AEC Industry. With various other studies & meetings, in 1977 a short term course on Construction Management was conducted, which resulted in the formation of this course at Master's level. Thus, the Department of Building Engineering & Management was founded in August 1979 by Prof. S.K. Narayana.
The students of MBEM-SPA Delhi are selected from all over the country. The batch comprises of Architects & Engineers. The students are selected on the basis of their GATE Ranks, Academic Profiles, Personal Interview & the quality of their previous work experiences & their achievements.
MBEM focuses on grooming efficient & skilled professionals who can accomplish complex building projects by coordinating with specialized consultants, right from concept formation through to design development & construction stages.
The course curriculum integrates the engineering aspects & management practices of building projects. The thrust of the programme is on imparting knowledge of planning, scheduling & monitoring so that building projects are completed within the stipulated Time, Cost & Quality parameters. Special emphasis is placed on Practical Aspects through various case studies, which form integral part of the programme.
Objectives of the department
Develop an understanding of organization and working of the building industry to become effective in management tasks by:
- Acquainting with the procedures and practices of the projects;
- Developing high degree of competence by understanding the functional interrelationships existing amongst the different task areas;
- Providing opportunities for shouldering responsibilities and making possible the development of decision making ability;
- Encouraging development and innovation in approaches to progressing projects; and
- Dwelling on ways and means of promoting human relations.